Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Today's Escapade: A Trip to the Dentist

My mouth is still a little numb from getting a cavity filled today. But I had to pause and say that I love going to the dentist! Getting a cleaning is one thing to love-the fresh, clean feeling of a bright, sparkling smile surpasses, for me, even the joy of chocolate. And I live for a short time afterwards with renewed desire to floss and care for my pearly whites.

But even better than that is the feeling of partial numbness that comes with a filling. I'm not being sarcastic at all. I really love it. I love that the dentist starts with that cotton swab slathered in analgesic-type ointment and after a few seconds brings out the shot of Novocaine and he is so careful not to let me see the needle. He is so gentle, I hardly even know he is poking me several times with it, except for that occasional burst of medicinal coolness. And he tells me that he will be careful and he reminds me to breathe (I honestly would have forgotten).

And then the dentist leaves me for a moment with a good movie to watch on a nice flat screen TV placed strategically above my head to make it easier to see. I wait, and focus on the sensations of the Novocaine radiating into nothingness. And then when it's time, I love to have my chair tilted back so far that my head is just a little lower than normal.

Now, the drilling isn't fun. I'm not altogether crazy. The sound is horrible and there is always a momentary twinge as if the drill went just a tad too far, followed by a grimace and the dentist's reassurance that seconds are all that is required for completion. But amid all the drilling, my favorite part is to lay there while the dentist tells me everything he is doing and he goes on and on about what a great job I'm doing. I'm doing NOTHING, he's doing all the work and he's telling me how excellent I am, practically gushing over my composure like I'm some rare talent. Seriously, I was even late and messed up his schedule and he is still all smiles and asks about my Christmas and works me in like I am his most important patient. He even thanks me for still making it in. And on my way out, when I hand over my debit card for the measly $106 dollars to cover my new, shiny, white filling, the dentist walks by the front desk with a quick pause to tell me again what a great job I did and to assure me that no one will ever know I had anything done.

I honestly love it. Granted, I've never had a root canal so my experience is limited, and this is only my second cavity to fill, but really, don't you love going to the dentist too? Does your dentist rave about you, too.

7 comments:

Robyn said...

Nope, sorry Julie I really DON'T share in your joy of dentistry. The only pleasure I get out of it is the Laughing gas they give me- the right side of my mouth doesn't go numb (I think its due to the fact I had jaw surgery when I was 18). But I'm glad there are people in the world who enjoy the dentist-- That's why your dentist raves about you :)

Don, jaymie, 4 cute kids said...

Julie, I'm getting worried about you! You love the dentist...Really? I need to go, maybe I should go to yours...that is if you will share his magic! See ya at Roberts!

Amy said...

You are crazy. I love the dentist so much I have only been once since I have been married...

Mac and Dixie said...

Are you looking for a job? :-)
-Dixie

anna said...

Oh it is so nice to hear someone that likes coming in for a cleaning. It's people like you (that enjoy the dentist) that keeps me employed. I don't know if that is a good or bad thing. Ha Ha. By the way we hide the needle so that people don't have a panic attack when they see how long it is.

Anonymous said...

That's an awesome post. I have never met anyone who shared that same love before. I really do love it too. I used want to be a dentist...then I took the weed out courses and got weeded! *winks*
Anyway...novicaine, aaahhh! And the flat screen tv, a great new update!!! Glad you had a 'fun' time!

Kristi said...

You're crazy! Did you have too many x-rays or something??:)