Thursday, July 21, 2011

On to Plan C

I am in withdrawal after having my brother and sister-in-law's four girls with us for two days, one night, and one late night. They were so lovely. Their ages range from 9 months to 12-years-old.

I miss them.

Having had them here, I see more clearly how well they work together. They are one. They are a pack. They do everything together. They know each other so well... likes, dislikes, behaviors. They stick up for one another. They watch out for each other. They entertain one another. They are more tolerant, patient, and selfless because they have each other.

Now, after the pack-n-play, the fold-out beds, the high chair, and all the baby toys are put away. I can't get over the pain that Kate doesn't have what those girls have.


I'm sad that Kate is alone. 

People always tell me that everything happens for a reason. What is the purpose for this experience? What good does it do Kate to go through all of her childhood alone.

Since April, Scott and I have been slowly moving through the steps to adopt through LDS Family Services. We went to the five classes, we filled out some initial forms, we asked a few people to submit letters of recommendation. We each had physicals (even Kate) clearing us for adoption. {My OBGYN even had to fill out a form listing all our "procedures" and tests and one of the questions was for him to list what percent chance we had of conceiving on our own - how can anyone really predict that anyway? My OB put "N/A". I'm glad he didn't even bother to respond. What a dumb question.} We paid a non-refundable application fee of $1,000.

Now we are on to more paperwork. I've completed my half of the 46-essay-question survey and answered some horribly personal, extremely difficult questions. Now it's Scott's turn. I think he's dragging his feet on the questions because the whole process is brutal. Why does the case worker need to know about any traumatic experiences we've had as children? Why does he need to know what our parents and siblings look like, what their likes and dislikes are, and what our relationship is with each of them? Why does he want to know how my parents disciplined me? Why does he want to know about our intimacy! What does any of this have do with anything? Look, I am an EXTREMELY open person, to a fault! But I don't want to answer these questions. Even still, I did it. I did it because I hope that God has some purpose for all this.

Yet, amidst my hope of God having some plan, I also have a more overwhelming feeling of hopelessness that maybe it's all too late. Maybe no matter what I do, Kate is just too old for a sibling to make a difference in her life.


Don't you think this question is dumb?
"Can you love and be loved by a child born to someone else?" How stupid is that? How could I know if someone else's child could love me?  Tell me if my answer is too rude: "Who knows? I have nieces and nephews that I could totally raise if they were entrusted to me. I feel so close to them and it's already easy for me to adore them. Many of them are not in any way blood related to me and that gives me hope that I could love a child born to someone else. This question is kind of troublesome to me because I really don't know nor could I ever know until put in the right circumstance."

8 comments:

Jamie said...

Wow, brutal. I agree with the thoughts behind this (screening out crazies) but I can't help but feel like there should be some criteria for people that chose to have and raise their own children. Let's have them fill out some paperwork before they can take their child home from the hospital. Maybe we'd get rid of some of the truly terrible parents out there and diminish the DCFS case load.

Tara said...

Hi Julie! This is Tara (Colman) Deppe from Santa Maria. I hadn't checked in on your family's blog for awhile and stopped by today and saw your post. I know exactly what your going through. We went through the same emotions for a long time trying to add to our family after our daughter. It was such a trying experience. We ended up adopting through LDS Family Services. Our son will be 4 in October. It was a long and emotionally trying journey. The paperwork really is brutal, I totally agree. Of course in hind sight I can see how it all fits together but at the time it was hard. Our son was meant to be apart of our family, we have no doubt. We were very surprised and blessed two years after our adoption to find out we were expecting. we now have another son who is now 14 months old. We really never know what the Lord has planned for us, do we?? If you ever would like to chat about the whole thing, I would be happy to talk to you! Just send me an email! mtdeppe@yahoo.com It is nice to keep up with all the Mayfields after all these years! You have such a beautiful family! Good luck with everything. I look forward to checking back in and hearing how the process is going!

Beth Monson said...

Wow! Those are some crazy questions. Good luck on your adoption journey. I really hope it works out for you guys!

Doug and Amanda Bailey said...

How horrible, no one likes to look at themselves that closely, and then share it with others. Look at it from the parents or mother who will be giving their child a new family. Wouldn't you want to know all you could about your babies new mom and dad? Maybe that will make it easier. Julie, I was an only child, there were times in my life that I wanted siblings, but I had an amazing childhood, just like Kate has. I have wonderful memories, I always felt loved, protected, taken care of. I'm stronger because of that blessing\trial of being the only one. There are still times when I wish there was someone else, but now I have my family. I wouldn't change anything! I don't think it is too late, ever, for her to enjoy a new member of the family and to make a difference. I think the hardest part is accepting Gods will, I don't know that there will ever be understanding in this life, it is just about accepting. Just know that He is there, holding you and guiding you, as long as you let Him. Much love

Don, jaymie, 4 cute kids said...

Julie, i want to hug you so very much! I cant imagine how you must feel and how you are hurting! Don's Brother is adopting their 3rd child this next month, we are so happy for them! I can tell you we all love those kids as if they were ours from birth because they are ours! You guys are wonderful parents and wonderful people, kate is so lucky to have you! I hope you get in the end what is best for you! Would be so much easier if we had a book to tell us what and when to do!!
love you guys!

Kristi said...

Hang in there!! You are such an amazing wife, mother, aunt and the best sis in law!! You have so much love to give!!

The Dahls said...

Julie, you know how i feel about you. You have a special little place in my heart. It's labeled "for Julie: exactly who I needed in my life at that point in time". I told you about my bro/sis-in-law. They adopted a son, he'll be 7 in sept and they have twin newborns now. I don't think it's too late. And as for a child of another person loving you? Um...yeah!! My children LOVE you. They still talk about how they miss you and Katie. Yes, it's different, but you are the most lovable person on the planet. What a horrible experience. You hang in there. Let me know how I can help you!!!

Jaime Brady said...

Julie!! I know this post is kinda old, but mac is working on homework and I'm entertaining myself and I've been catching up on your blog for the last while!! You should email me sometime. Mac and I have been struggling with infertility for the last year and I don't know all the details, but know that you guys have been through it too. Like I said, email me. :) jaime.c.brady@gmail.com. Hope all is well with you....oh, and I died at the hair cutting post!! haha! Oh, Kate.