I've decided the secret to our marriage is that Scott and I laugh at ourselves. More often... Scott laughs at me and I laugh at me.
Case in Point:
Last night, I told Scott I didn't want to go out to dinner on the way to the cabin tomorrow. Going to dinner on the weekend is Scott's special tradition. I don't like eating out because it is SO EXPENSIVE and I end up eating far more calories than a meal at home that I can control. I just don't trust the "healthy" items on the menu. They say how many calories and fat grams a few of the items have but what if the chef messes up and puts butter on it? Or swaps the "light" sauce on the sandwich for the full version? Boom, extra fat and calories I wasn't planning on. Snap, diet destroyed.
Scott, on the other hand, LOVE, LOVE, LOVES dining out. He doesn't care how much it costs, he doesn't care about calories or fat grams. He just wants to sit and enjoy some steak or crab or something spectacular that I never cook at home.
Today, he came home for lunch and tried to reapply for dinner on the way to the cabin. He was begging in such a sweet way and I felt almost like giving in but I remembered the chef I don't trust and the money that I would rather spend on having my hair done or new workout clothes. He threw in at the end of his beg that he had saved some extra money so the money isn't the problem anymore and I could get the salad bar so I wouldn't have to worry about the calories and stuff (I reminded him that if I got a salad like he does salad bar I wouldn't be able to eat for a WEEK... Hello, 2,000 cal. salad! The salad bar is not a friend! Believe me!).
I was flustered. I stood up straight, ready to assert my position and said, "Scott, It's just a challenge to try to be my best self married to you!"
And then we both BURST OUT LAUGHING! It was awesome. This kind of stuff happens ALL THE TIME. He catches me being a total mega beast or some selfish version of myself and instead of rattling off how evil I am, he just laughs and then I laugh and then it's gone. I realize how insane I am and we are on the same page again. Love, Love, Love laughing with Scott.
3 comments:
"What if the chef puts extra butter on?" ...Is this really the stuff that girls worry about?!? Really?
Men say...
BRING ON DA BUTTAH! :)
(Of course, that's why we die so much earlier than the ladies do...)
But if you DO worry, here's an article JUST FOR YOU! :)
http://www.leancuisine.ca/en/NutritionWellness/Nutrition/You_can_eat_out_sensibly.htm
That is so funny. I think you know your marriage is strong when you can laugh at each other again and again! Keep on laughing!
Post a Comment