The whole first part of Kate's first year as a full-time school-girl presented me with a daily battle. The battle usually had something to do with her hair. She had definite ideas of how she wanted it styled but complained to me because of how inept I was at executing the hairstyle or, more commonly, she complained at how painful the process was. She would whip her head around and growl at me, "You are HURTING ME!" She would take it as a personal offense and assume that I must surely hate her if I would hurt her so badly. The whole experience was excruciating for both of us.
At Christmas, Kate had the genius idea to ask Santa for headbands. Something in her just switched over. Once she received the headbands, she contented herself with her own abilities at brushing her hair, however sloppily that turned out, and putting in a headband. Essentially, she cut me out of the equation.
Ever since Christmas, her and I have had pleasant mornings. I don't hurt her while brushing her hair. I don't fail at impossible hairstyle requests. She is ready and presentable for school.
Yesterday, I was complementing her at what a responsible girl she is. I was telling her how awesome she is, how grateful I am that she gets herself ready for school, and that she is happy, and willing to go, and that she doesn't battle me over anything, and so on. She said, "That's because I want to make you happy." I beam at her with pride thinking what a wonderful child I have and then she pops my bubble by adding, "You are SO GRUMPY when you are upset."
No comments:
Post a Comment