Sunday, September 21, 2008

Gone Fishing

Daddy has only been gone since this afternoon and we miss him already. He's gone fishing in Montana with his two brothers, his father and some work associations.

I can't help but wonder what I will do without him for three and a half days. The rhythm of life is so interrupted without him. I think of all the women who send their men out on regular business trips or for deployment to Iraq or wherever the brave are sent. Women are widowed, divorced, and alone all over. I can't help but be extra grateful that Scott comes home to us everyday and seems to enjoy our small, little lives together.

I realize I don't talk a lot about Scott. I think I leave him out so much because he is so constant. I talk about new things so much. That's why Kate is my biggest topic--she's a new little person everyday. But Scott is as steady as a beating drum. He works hard, everyday. He never complains about it. He's just SO "just right", a perfect fit. And "so 'just right'" has a tendency to get "so boring" to listen to with any kind of frequency. I wouldn't change a thing about Scott. Even his semi-reckless driving adds something fun to life that I couldn't do without. And the insane way that he is so tidy and particular about little details. He can't sleep with the closet doors open, things like that. Come to think of it, I can't even think about the long list of idiosyncrasies I noticed when we were first married because they are so normal to me now after eight years together. Weird. I wonder if other wives get so used to their spouse's unique, but quirky ways that they don't notice them anymore--or maybe even grow to adore those quirks???

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It really is true, we become as one...

Unknown said...

This was a very sweet post to your husband. Scott is a great guy.

birdie said...

I have truly grown to adore Andy's black socks on our bedroom floor :)

I love the quirks - just not the ones on the floor.

melissa said...

Ahh how sweet. I can remember some of his quirks from when you first got married. I missed talking to you the 7 years in between then and now. It's great to know that his quirks are now things you love. Cute post.

Kristi said...

So nice of you to post about Scott. He's a great guy but a quirky one for sure. Funny he has to close the closet doors. Whitney does that.

heidi said...

Arent hubbies the best! I am so happy to have my hubs home every evening too!

Jen said...

I too can not sleep with the closed doors open. "How Bizarre"
I am glad you love your Scott so much.