Christmas Eve Nativity with the Bangerters

Whitney and Hailey are angels, Todd and Cherish are shepherds, Zac and Jessica are Joseph and Mary, and Kate and Ashlee are two of the three wise men. By next year, we'll have our third wise man with the two new members of our nativity who will be joining us in 2009. Cherish and Todd's baby will be 10 months old and Jeff & Anna's baby will be a perfect baby Jesus (I'm crossing my fingers for a boy).
Christmas Morning, around 7:00 am: Kate's gift from SantaGreat-Grandpa Cherry with Jessica, Zac, Hailey, Whitney, Kate, and Ashlee after Christmas morning brunch
Who needs Christmas presents when you have Uncle Todd: The Toy A rare photo of my mother-in-law actually allowing me to take a picture of her. I did threaten her. :) Thank You, Kathy!!!! That's Scott's Dad in the background. I love you guys!
The thing I love most about Christmas is that it is Ours. My family and Scott's family in all their contrast, unfolding simultaneously in parallel.
My family's tradition is that we have no tradition. Every year our celebration is something shiny and new. My mom loves to reinvent Christmas somehow. I don't know why, exactly, but I love that the thing we can expect is the unexpected. Every year the menu is different, the game we play is different, the activities we do to bring on the Christmas spirit-all different.
Scott's family's Christmas is like a record they replay. Each year builds upon the next and the only way you can tell them apart is the year on the photo, the hairstyles of the ladies, or the age of the grand kids. I think this made me a little uncomfortable the first few years we were married. I kept wanting my family to settle down and have traditions I could count on like my in-laws. Then I wanted my in-laws to spice it up a bit. Now, I get it. I love it. I love that I have the expected and the unexpected and both are magical in their own way. Scott's family is my anchor and my family is the sail.
6 comments:
Cute pictures. My family is like yours something different every year. Looks like you had a great Christmas.
Beautifully written. I will bring you the CD of all my pictures one of these days so you can download them to your computer. What a magical Christmas!
That was great! We had so much fun seeing so much of you. Will you email me the Christmas Eve pics?
I'm glad you had a fun Christmas! It was good to see so much of you and your family! Happy New Year!
Love,
Boom Boom la Roo!
Very cute pics, and very well said!
That's neat that you got to spend time with both families. That is always fun to make those types of memories. I also liked your analogy of the anchor and sail. It's funny how stuff like that just works out.
Post a Comment