Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Today We Ate up the Hours

We had such a fun day full of Kate-isms that made me laugh. I'm not going to share all of them because I already forgot almost everything. I mainly just love how Kate has reached a stage where I can just talk to her about everything and she really seems to understand and remember what goes on. I love the questions she asks. And I'm relishing the feeling of being smarter than someone-I know it won't last for much longer.

The weather has been crummy but we went for a walk around the block anyway. I'm pretty sure the headache I have right now is directly related to the poor air quality; air you can sink your teeth into. I crack up every time I think of how many times people teased me about my birthplace (California) being so smog-filled. Hey, Utahans look around you! "Inversion" is just the weatherman's euphemistic way of saying smog.

During our little jaunt Kate did Kung-Fu-Panda kicks at the snow whenever she saw a "good spot" in the snow. Each time she would let out her guttural "hee-yaw". We stopped a bazillion times to look at all the different snow formations and all the crystally teeth and we listened to the sound the little crystals made as the fell back onto the ice. We had so much fun. I had a hard time keeping the dirty-gutter snow out of Kate's mouth but she had already downed a mudsicle earlier today while I took the Christmas lights off the bushes so what's a 10% mud solution after you have the real thing. For real, she was licking mud (the black, goopey stuff) off her fingers. Nice. I could even hear the grit in her teeth as she closed her jaws onto it-crunch. I don't want anyone to ever tell me about all the bacteria she has encountered today. ignorance is bliss.

I'm sure there were things I should've gotten done but it was fun to do nothing. I did do a load of laundry. That's something, right? Oh, and I took Kate and my niece to the dollarstore to look for princesses. Since we didn't find any at the store nearest to our house, we drove out to the one a few miles away and then realized that Kate had left her princess wallet full of $5 in quarters at the previous dollarstore. For a second, I thought for sure it would be counted as a donation of some kind but we made it back and found it all intact. She had set it down while handling all the breakables.

Later, when we were looking out our front window (a favorite pastime), we heard and saw the UPS truck. I told Kate what it was and she said, "That's My PS truck?" So cute.

Well, it was fun to slow down a bit and look each minute right in the face for what it is.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds so lovely. A slow moving peaceful day. What great memories you are making with Katie!

birdie said...

I love the mud pies bit. Why is it that all kids love mud - in all its forms?

Amy said...

I love days like that. Its okay that she ate straight mud. It is good for kids to get some bacteria, right? I love the UPS thing. So cute!

Unknown said...

Kate sounds so cute! I love the My ps thing! :)

Cherish said...

Sounds like a nice day! I'll trade you for a day like that for a day of work at my job :)! So did she like the mud?

Jen said...

You are such a good mom!