Friday, April 10, 2009

My Sorry Pair of Sisters

So, I've been doing a lot of thinking this week and I decided that my sisters have pushed me too far. I always dreamed of being a stay-at-home mom and hanging out with my sisters and swapping babysitting with them while our hubbies went to work. But by the time I got around to having Kate, Jeni's only daughter was 12-years-old and Jill's only son was 8-years-old. I guess having a 15-year-old cousin is nice, I have a built-in-babysitter but I have to pay her and sisters babysit for free. You see what I mean? So that's all well and good but then my rotten sisters have the audacity to be employed, both of them, the entire three years that I've been a stay-at-home mom. Now that's just plain rude!

You can imagine how my excitement puddles over when I foresee a school break coming up (they both work in education). Unfortunately, they are usually so bogged down from their 40-plus work weeks that they have a laundry list of projects or fun to get through so the only way I can spend time with them is if I go to their places to help them with their projects (which I don't mind so much).

Spring Break this year is no exception. They dared go away, together, to Disneyland. True, they said I could come if I wanted to but Kate would be such a handful and Scott isn't taking consistent paychecks from work right now with how slow work is-although, it is picking up a bit just now.

Have you ever heard of a more sorry pair of sisters?

I know some poor girls don't even have sisters. I should be grateful that my family tree includes a couple. And as far as older sisters go, they're alright. Maybe they're getting back at me for being in high school and college all the years that they had their children small--no, they worked then too so they can't hold that against me. I just want sisters. What good is a sister if she doesn't do what sisters are supposed to do?

On the other hand, maybe I couldn't stand having them around all the time. Maybe I have a much better relationship with my husband when they stay as far away as possible. Well anyway, like I said, I've been doing a lot of thinking. And if my two sisters eventually accept the invite to my blog and pay some attention to me, they'll just sit and mouth off all the times they were there for me: like when I had my appendectomy and I was also trying to move into my new house and Jill and Jeni came over and moved all our important things in so that we could function. Or the time I needed help getting started with some renovations in my basement and Jeni came over and helped paint for most of the day. Or the many times Jill and I have commiserated over our one-child families and our yearning for more. Oh, and if you look in my house, 70% of the furnishings came by way of Jeni's hand-me-downs and 90 % of Kate's toys are hand-me-downs from both Jeni and Jill from when their kids were little. I guess they aren't all that bad. Maybe I should cut them some slack for abandoning me? Okay, but just a little.

4 comments:

Amy said...

That is too bad you can't hang out during the day and swap babysitting, but it seems they make up for it in other ways. I don't have sisters, but my Sister-in-Laws are great!

Jen said...

Sam does not need to be paid for babysitting. Remember that while we were slaving away with babies you were out dating and having fun, too much fun to babysit. We do our best with the time we have. I am sorry you feel so neglected we will make a better effort to babysit Kate more often so you can have your dream.

Beth Monson said...

Yeah I hear you on the sister abandonment. My two sisters are 15and 20 years older than me! They were married and had their own kids by the time I was 4! They are both grandmas now and my kids are 4and 3. No fair!

Cherish said...

Well even though I'm your sis in law, I still want to hang out:). Even though I work, I am still pretty flexible. We still need to set up a play date.