Saturday, April 25, 2009

Rainy Saturday, 4.5%, & Forgiveness

Today, despite the rain, we went to the Zoo. It's been a long time since we've been to the Zoo. I don't think Scott's been since he was little. We just haven't spent money on good times since we went to the aquarium last year. We had so much fun. Kate was excited to ride the Carousel. I don't think she knew this was an Ostrich. In line she just kept saying, "I want to ride the birdie!" I thought she was talking about the peacock.
Kate was so funny going into the reptile and primate buildings. She couldn't stand the smell. She was so bothered by it that she ran out even before she finished touring the building. We gave her nose a break and went back in a few minutes later and as we walked in I could see her preparing her nose, scrunching it up and holding her breath at little. Silly girl. She has her Aunt Kristi's super-human sense of smell. Ha.


And here's Kate with her gift shop find, a chirping Mountain Bluebird.


Good times. The rain didn't even get in the way. Kate was so excited to get a chirping bird "just like Hailey," one of her cousins.
Good news: We were able to refinance our first and second mortgage (we had an 80/20 to avoid mortgage insurance) into one and the rate still blows us away. It's fixed at 4.5%! Isn't 4.5% amazing! Since we don't have to pay a mortgage for May and we're receiving a fat escrow check in the mail in a few weeks, we're using a small portion of that money to buy Kate a nice swing set. I think we have it narrowed down to two favorites. They aren't the fanciest but I know she'll love having a glider again. Our hand-me-down set is falling apart and dangerous right now.
I've completely forgiven my sisters for ignoring me over spring break and for working all the time. They aren't so rotten or rude after all-I knew that all along. I know they had every excuse to not think I was that great of a sister when they got married and started their families because I was still in high school and I was never any use to them. Having my sisters work as hard as they do makes me appreciate the tremendous gift it is for me to be able to stay home with Kate. I know I would be such a basket-case if I had to work and arrange for someone to care for Kate while I helped pay the bills. There is absolutely no luxury in life more meaningful to me than my not having to be employed. Really, my niece Samantha is a fantastic sister to me. I can argue with her all I want and she loves to argue right back-and she totally gets me. She gives me great advice on everything. She tags along with me while I shop for random things and she always helps with Kate. I'll have to remember to thank Jeni for Samantha and thank Samantha for being so much like the little sister I never had. Good Times.

8 comments:

Jamie said...

The zoo looks like fun! And way to go for getting a nice swingset. That will be perfect!

Cherish said...

Oh, Kate is so cute! It would be fun to go to the zoo with her. That is great that she gets a new swingset.

Beth Monson said...

Congrats on the interest rate! Nothing beats a lower mortgage payment. And I'm glad you've got a substitute sister.

Amy said...

Cute pics from the zoo and congrats on the interest rate! So nice!

melissa said...

We love the 80/20 I'm sure Kate will too when she gets her new swing set. I love her pictures from the Zoo.

Michelle Mayfield said...

Cute! You were very brave to go to the zoo on such a rainy day! I bet you'll never forget that! Fun!

Kristi said...

Thanks for mentioning my nose sense:) And glad Kate could get a chirping bird, no more bird battles here!!

Anonymous said...

I like hanging out with Samantha too. She is tons of fun. We like watchng food network together.