Wednesday, March 3, 2010

A Very Happy Birthday - 30



Jill (left), Jeni (top), Julie (right), Sami (bottom)

I way take for granted the blessing of having sisters. I'm hard on them. I don't treat them like I should. Yesterday, they reminded me how wonderful it is to have sisters.

When Jeni came to pick up Sami, she brought Jill with her and they kidnapped me for a pedicure to celebrate my 30th birthday, which is TODAY! Thank you Scott for watching Kate and James so we could have a fun girl time!

Then this morning, my dad called from Denmark at 6:15 am! He didn't want to miss me with the time zone and all. Before Scott left for work, around 7:00 am, Scott and Kate gave me presents and then my mother-in-law and two nieces called to sing "Happy Birthday". My Mom and Jeni dropped by with a pineapple (thank you for not bringing doughnuts!) I had so many friends and neighbors call, drop by, or send me an email. It was a really great morning.

Scott even bought flowers and brought them to me on his lunch break!

My sister-in-law and all of her kids called to sing "Happy Birthday" after they got off school and she even babysat this evening while Scott and I went to dinner. Thank you, Kristi!

The only black eye to the day was taking time out of my celebration to take my Grandma to insta-care. She did some damage to her big toe falling out of bed this morning in her assisted living center and with her being on a blood thinner for her heart, she just bleeds a lot. The nurses called me in a panic as if she was going to die over a little bloody toe. I'm sure she would've been just fine if a nurse over there could have bandaged her up real tight but since the facility doesn't have a nurse to speak of, and the only skill they have are a bunch of CNA's who aren't allowed to dress a wound (what's up with that-it's just first aid people-honestly!) I had to drive her a few blocks from the facility to the insta-care to have a doctor bandage her owie. Even Grandma thought it was ridiculous.

But Grandma got a tetanus shot out of the deal and a nice big shot of antibiotics on her buttox! So now she has a sore arm, rump, and toe.

Grandma didn't even know it was my birthday. Sami was my saving grace and played with Kate in the lobby while I helped Grandma. I followed up the 2-hour-ordeal with Dairy Queen treats for Sam and Kate for being so patient with the day's detour.

I'm glad I was able to help. I think the staff at the facility way-over dramatized Grandma's injury but I'm glad her injury was treated correctly and I'm mostly glad that the day ended so well.

Thanks to my peeps for a great day!

7 comments:

Robyn said...

Happy b-day! Sounds like fun!

birdie said...

hooray for being 30!! it's only now, that life really gets interesting :)

so glad that you were able to enjoy it - pedicures are the best, and your fancy toes are making me think I need one of those myself!

Beth Monson said...

Happy Birthday! I am not looking forward to turning 30 so I just pretend like it's not coming. But I'm glad you rang it in in style. Nate has a sprained ankle so we didn't do much. And he was sick on his birthday last year. Maybe 31 will be better...;)

Jen said...

We love you Julie!
Sorry you had to be the one to take care of the pin sized break in grandma's skin that was supposedly "GUSHING BLOOD!" according to the uneducated helper. What a mess.

The Circus said...

I didn't know! Happy birthday!!!

Andrea McEntire said...

Happy birthday! Don't you just love sisters/sister-in-laws?

Anonymous said...

AH, Happy birthday! What a great (mostly) day! The toes are amazing! I am sure DQ was a real treat too, I love that place!