Friday, December 17, 2010

The Things She Says

On Tuesday, Kate overheard Scott and I talking to Scott's brother about his wife's recent miscarriage. We were asking how she was doing and as Scott continued to listen to his brother Kate pulled at me so she could whisper something in my ear. Her little words were: "Mommy, aren't you glad I didn't die in your tummy?" My face lit up with joy and a resounding "Yes!" came out with a twinkle in her eyes and mine. What a dear, sweet girl. We talked quietly about all the wonderful things we have together, all because she lived.

A week ago, while I was rushing to get Kate ready for preschool and fearing that we would be late again, I rushed her even more and with all my, "Hurry, brush your teeth... Hurry, brush your hair... Hurry, get your coat..." Kate stopped me and softly said, "You know Mom, sometimes you just have to miss it."

I was pulling our clothes out of the washer to hang on the line in our laundry room and I pulled out Scott's pants thinking they were mine. When I realized they were his, I said something about it and then mentioned how silly it would be if I could fit Daddy's pants. Kate told me how "some moms are that big and have really big bum bums." And then she said, "But that's okay, that's just the way God made them."

7 comments:

Robyn said...

Oh she is sweet~ God did make my big bum :) hahaha

Robyn said...

It wasn't all the food I eat too much of :)

Amy said...

I think my fave is the missing it one. And I can't fit into my husbands pants either and not because they are too big....;)

Erin said...

How wonderful and crazy-observant Kate is. She just gets it. And I love her for it.

birdie said...

sweet little one. she is a smart cookie :)

Beth Monson said...

Those are so sweet! What a cutie!

kristen'n'thecrew said...

Oh, she is so, so cute! You know, while I was growing up my mom would say, "Kristen, come get dressed, por favor!" or "Go hop in the car, por favor!" It wasn't until I took Spanish in 7th grade for the first time that I realized "por favor" meant PLEASE! I'd always thought it meant "hurry up!" My childhood took on a slightly different slant after that... :) I have a wonderful mother, and your Kate does, too.