On Wednesday, I bought Kate a new sweater dress. When we came home she tried it on. As she walked from her room to the kitchen, I could hear her exclaim with enthusiasm, "Mommy, nook (look). I nook (look) like the 80's!" She stood right in front of me, grinning, hands on her hips, and her center of gravity shifted to the right.
Remarkably, looking like the 80's was a positive thing for her. And even more remarkable, she was right, she did look like the 80's. Kate's monthly outing at various clothing stores with Jeni and Sam has really rubbed off on her.
On Thursday, in the truck, Kate and I were talking about Lincoln and Washington. From the flag she decorated in preschool, I could tell this was the topic of her preschool class that day. Kate was asking questions about Lincoln and I told her he was an early President of our Country and that he was often called "Honest Abe" and that his real name was Abraham Lincoln.
With the mention of his name Kate said, .
Kate: "You mean the guy on the MONEY?"
Me: Yes, you're right. He is on the money.
Kate: Why is he on the money?
I rattled something off to her and then she told me that he died in the "Woe". I had to ask her again and she said it again, "Woe".
Me: Oh, the war?
Kate: Yes, the woe (clearly exhausted by her mother's stupidity).
Me: Well Kate, I thought he died in a theater. See, he was assassinated by John Wilkes Booth.
Kate: No, he died in the woe.
Me: I don't know, Kate. I'm pretty sure he died in the theater.
Kate: Mommy, If you wah (were) me, you would know. If you wah (were) in pweschool, you would know that he was keelled (killed) in the woe. You have to be at shawing (sharing) time and then you will see that he was keelled (killed) in the woe, not the theat-ah (theatre).
Me: Okay. We'll have to look that one up.
Later, I was talking to her Preschool teacher about it when I was visiting one of her daughters and she said that the book they read as a class mentioned that it was at the end of the war that Lincoln died. She thought maybe that was where Kate got herself confused.

3 comments:
I think you're a very good writer, Julie! Always fun to read your exploits with Kate!
well little miss sassafrass... she's so funny! I love the things kids come up with.
I love how Kate talks. I hope Maddox talks like that someday, I think its adorable. Am I bad for wanting that? And girl I love the new look and fonts you have on your blog!
Post a Comment