Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Binge Drinking - Not!

Me (trying to look "angelic"), Kate, and Sam (showing off her evilness with pride)

This was just one of those moments. You see, I DO NOT drink cola drinks. Maybe twice a year I will have a Fresca at my mom's or a Root Beer at a Summer BBQ at someone else's house. I buy sprite or 7up when Scott is sick once a year or so. Other than that, I am a water drinker.

My friend seems to ALWAYS have a Diet Coke in her hand whenever I see her. Maybe she needs it to manage hanging out with me. I must be THAT bad. Lately I've been teasing her about her "addiction" to Coke and I even tell her that I'm worried about her because of how unhealthy all that carbonation and caffeine are for her body.

Meanwhile, we have Scott's Grandpa over for dinner once a month and I thought it would be nice to have his favorite drink. I bought a case of Cherry Coke and I admitted to my friend that I was a little tempted to taste it. I thought it might taste good. On my 31st birthday, my friend brought some treats and a Cherry Coke. I guess she wanted me to join "the dark side".

I would have tossed it in the trash and just felt sorry that my friend wasted her money buying me something she knew I didn't believe in drinking for health reasons. But my niece and sister were there and the peer pressure and fun of the moment got to me.

Evidently, Sam believes that you can tell if you have ADHD by seeing the effect caffeine has on you. If it calms you, then you most assuredly have ADHD. If you feel hyper, then you don't. She has over the years told me that I for sure have ADHD so I thought this would give me a chance to prove it.

Why not do it in style. I put the contraband in a fancy glass and pretended to really booze it up. I made my niece have some too (of course her mother was present so she was accompanied by her legal guardian while ingesting the harmful substance). I didn't really feel any different from the caffeine. Does that mean I have ADHD? I did feel slightly guilty, like I'd done something horribly evil and wrong. I haven't had a drink since, clean and sober for 20 days!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Oh no you didn't! ;)

My in-laws are all addicted to Diet Coke. They open a can right when they get up. Sad.

Anonymous said...

This makes me laugh...