Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Yup, I Ripped it Clean off...

I did a pull-through parking job at my local Target and shopped for a bit. When it came time for me to load my groceries in my truck and leave, I pulled out and turned to the right too tightly and felt a crunching towards the rear of the passenger side of my truck.

I quickly re-parked and hopped out to access the damage. I couldn't believe it. I had ripped the front bumper of the other car clean off.

 I went into the Target to have them page the owner of this silver Hyundai Sonata and to notify the police of the accident. This wasn't one of those times you leave a note on the car, "Sorry about your car. call me, xxx-xxx-xxxx." and leave. No, even in my shock I knew that wasn't going to fly. The policeman came quickly and was wonderful to work with.
 We waited for the owner of the vehicle for about a half hour. While we waited, Scott came to provide moral support. He didn't even tease me for getting in an accident with a parked car. I teased him that we might want to buy me a smaller vehicle. Scott talked to our insurance company and soon the owner came out and turned out, as the policeman had suspected, to be an employee of Target. She took the news in stride.
You can barely see anything but the hubcap is dented and the tire has a few scrapes but that's all.

I felt sorry for the nice Target employee whose car I busted. She and her husband had just bought the car, "used", two weeks ago. A tow truck was needed to get the car safely home (the owner's husband didn't want Scott to secure the bumper with a bungy cord for the drive home - worried it would come apart on the freeway - good call).

I encountered good fortune in all of this. I have car insurance, that will help a lot. We are receiving our tax return this week and that will help with the deductible. I was on private property so I didn't receive a ticket. I wasn't injured and I didn't injure anyone else. I didn't have anywhere I needed to be, that couldn't wait that is. Kate was safe at preschool and I had plenty of time to pick her up. And I witnessed the kindness of a bystander who came to see if I was okay after the accident and helped me remain calm and focus on what I had to do next. She was a sweet angel to me, and I don't even know her name. And the kindness of the policeman and the owner of the damaged vehicle were both very kind and understanding. I received a lot of comfort from what the policeman said. He first told me that he was surprised I didn't just drive off. And when I was expressing how badly I felt about it all later on, the policeman said, "Well, that's why they are called accidents."

8 comments:

Erin said...

Oh man. I'm so sorry! You're aptitude for optimism and blessing never ceases to amaze me.

Beth Monson said...

Oh that sucks! But look at you "Miss. Optimism". Way to look at the good in a bad situation. Glad you have insurance:).

Jen said...

It is nice you can see the positive. So sorry, but like you said no one was hurt- just the bumper.

Amy said...

Holy cow. I can't believe it came right off.

Bret Wheadon said...

Oh, Julie, I'm so sorry you had to go through that! But happy that everything seemed to go "as well as possible" in the circumstances. You are blessed to be able to see the good in these moments!

Anonymous said...

That had to be the most horrible feeling ever. I am sorry you had that happen to you. But I have to tell you I am totally laughing. When I graduated college I wanted to buy a new car. Just for me! So I researched and was torn between what to get...I was considering a big truck. I happened to borrow my brother in law's truck that week and I totally back in over the big city trash can and drug in down the alley and scratched the whole side because I kept going! I bought a smaller car! *laughs*
Way to handle it all so masterfully and gracefully!

The Circus said...

Bwahahahaha my husband did the exact same thing!

Doug and Amanda Bailey said...

Just gotta laugh it off! When you are done crying that is!