Today we talked about the letter N.
N for NAUGHTY!
While I was doing some organizing at a friend's house, Kate was playing with my friend's daughter. They've played before and they were playing well. We let them play and watch a movie downstairs while we were upstairs. We checked on them once or twice and they came up three times to check in with us. One time, when the girls came to ask for something, I noticed that Kate's friend, Elle, had a shorter haircut than I remembered. She always had hair all the way down her back. At first, I asked my friend, "When did you have Elle's hair cut?" She didn't see and so she just assumed it looked different because it was pulled up or something. A short time later Elle came up again and I could clearly see that it was shorter, to her chin with a little bit of an A-line flare to it but uneven. We started asking questions and found out that KATE CUT HER FRIEND'S HAIR!!!!
How does a mom recover from this sort of thing? The mom of the hair cutter and the mom with the child with the new hair cut. Hair grows but it's still devastating. How do I teach Kate that what she did was UNACCEPTABLE? I was mad but I knew that I was an idiot to expect her to play without incident while I helped my friend. So, I can't fully punish her, can I?
After seeing Elle all shorn, I imagined the pile of hair somewhere and realized I needed to clean it up. I asked Kate to show me and sure enough, the hair was in a pile BEHIND a picture frame in a corner. Maybe I can punish her, the little stink knew enough to HIDE the evidence. She clearly knew that what she did was wrong and she didn't want to be caught.
I ended up giving my friend $15 to cover the haircut that Elle most definitely would need to repair the damage my child did to her. I wonder if I should have Kate do chores to earn money to pay me back? That's the consequence I'm leaning toward. Although, no movie time would probably hit home too. But it's unrelated. I'm big on making the punishment fit the crime. Any other good ideas?
I'll have to post some pictures if my friend sends them to me - that is, if she ever speaks to me again... HA!
6 comments:
Wow that's a bad one! I would definitely have her earn the money for the haircut as well as take a privilege away so she really learns how serious it is! YIKES. I will hide all my scissors next time she's over:)
Yes, you can punish her! If they are old enough to hide the evidence...they are old enough to do the time. We take away the most important privileges first, if movie time, play dates, or whatever will help her learn from her mistakes than it fits the crime. Good luck! That is a biggie!
Oh man, why do kids do that?! I have to admit, I am smiling...maybe because it wasn't my child or my hair :)
I agree that she needs a consequence. She is old enough to know she shouldn't have done it. I think what you've decided on sounds very reasonable. :) hide all the scissors! hahaha
Oh my goodness!!! I just don't know what to think, funny or sad. It happens but Good luck, that is tough.
Yikes! I'm so sorry ;(
Post a Comment