Saturday, September 24, 2011

You Had Me at "Chocolate"


I just returned from a nice dinner with my mom and sisters, followed with General Women's Conference. I feel so much improved after hearing the messages from the General Relief Society Presidency and President Uchtdorf.

I especially appreciated the talk Sister Allred gave on Charity and the talk President Uchtdorf gave with the 5 things we mustn't forget. Both talks I needed to hear to help me with the challenges I face. I now have some much appreciated perspective!

I had my niece, Samantha, sitting next to me. She was attending her first session of Women's Conference as a newly-turned 18-year-old. I helped her write notes and we giggled a bit. I wrote some silly notes for her and one of them was, "President Uchtdorf, you had me at 'Chocolate'!"

Yes, I was being somewhat silly, but what was shared really did sink in. That story he told using the story of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory with the golden ticket that everyone was searching for was perfect. I see that I struggle with that same problem, always searching for the allusive golden ticket and neglecting to enjoy the chocolate bar that I have already received. Super-good stuff!

All of it was great.


Click Here for a short piece of Elder Uchtdorf's talk when he recapped the five things.
Click Here for another little piece from the talk when he talked about how we are not forgotten to our Father in Heaven.

I'm sure this talk with be on Mormon messages soon.

Here is the link to the full conference (about an hour and a half).If you don't have time to watch the whole conference, at least catch Pres. Uchtdorf's talk. Just scroll the time bar to 58:00, that's when his talk begins.

Right now, I'm grateful for the timing of this conference. 

6 comments:

Jamie said...

Julie, I know this might sound lame, but I was praying for you today, and I was so hoping you had the chance to hear these talks! I think this talk by Pres. Uchtdorf will be one that will be a sort of "classic" for women. It seems everyone of us needed that talk! I loved it!

Anonymous said...

Having read your last post just before conference it was on my mind, I wondered if you would enjoy their messages. I love how general authorities can talk to each of us with such different challenges and be speaking to each one of us so personally. Glad it was a good experience. I am always motivated afterward...let's see how long I can make that motivation last! *laughs*

Robyn said...

Julie I was thinking of you during his talk and hoping you were listening to it :) We have the best HF who knows exactly what we need just when we need it!

The Dahls said...

I'm so glad you heard it!! I'm glad you got some perspective and some uplifting. Love love love conference.

Beth Monson said...

Sorry you've been having such a hard time. I'm glad the conference talks were enlightening for you. Listening to wonderful talks like that seems to help us with understanding our trials a little better. We seem to get a fresh perspective. I know it doesn't make your challenges go away, but I hope you feel like they're a little easier to wade through:).

Kensie said...

Thank you for posting clips of the conference I wasn't able to make it!!!