Wednesday, March 26, 2008

My Eden

I've put off my yard work long enough. I've completely ignored my backyard for almost three years. First I was pregnant--that's a good excuse , right? Then I had a little baby. Then, when I finally got into a situation that I could go out in the yard and clean it out, I realized it was too overwhelming and I ignored it. Well, the day of reckoning has come. The weather is finally mild and Kate is old enough to play while I work so I got started Saturday.

Since then, except Sunday, I have spent hours every day working in the yard and LOVED IT! I'm addicted to it. I can't get enough moments in the day to run out there and do the little I can before I have to attend to other matters. All I'm doing is tearing up all the dead growth and piling it up, but I've already learned so much.

I really thought I would have to go to the library and research all the stuff about my yard. I was surprised to find the keys of how to work the land were just sitting out there waiting to be discovered. Just looking at the bushes, I could see how they liked to be pruned. After looking at all the dead ground cover shoots and runners underneath a layer of new growth, I knew how I was supposed to trim it in the fall.

As I tore up my yard, analogies came to my mind. I could relate my yard work to spirituality, sin, and repentance. I was having "ah-ha" moments!

I thought my siblings and parents were insane for wasting so much of their precious time here on earth working in the yard. But now, I see that it really is a way for us to communicate with nature--it's exercise for mind body and spirit! They all told me it was, but now, I know.

3 comments:

birdie said...

Great analogies. You're a deep gal, Julie! How are you guys? I can't believe Kate is getting so big!

Jill said...

Julie, you finally understand the joy! I seem to have forgotten the joy by the looks of my yard, but in your honor, I vow to work between conference sessions this weekend!

heidi said...

Ahh, I wish I had a yard! We have a balcony but I still want to make it have a little garden. I really want to plant a Dwarf Lemon tree in a pot and I have a couple of plumaria flowers that I need to re-pot, so there you go! I guess I can have a little Eden too if I tried I guess...