Tuesday, April 1, 2008

The Dress



My mom and sister, Jeni, asked for a 5x7 photo of Kate to display. I took a snapshot of Kate in February and had it enlarged. I gave one to my mom and another to Jeni. Evidently, that picture was not good enough. They both murmured, claiming I needed to show off Kate's curls.

A week or so later, they both confronted me and insisted that I take Kate to a professional photography studio for her 2-year-old photo. I already had that on my list of things to do and it overwhelmed me to hear them go on about it so I silenced them.
Today, I finally got the mental energy to cross Kate's 2-year photo shoot off my list. Not wanting a repeat of my previous snapshot disaster, I asked my mom what she expected. To my surprise, I received a very thorough answer: buy a new, special dress and have Kate's picture taken at Kiddie Kandids, not Target. I asked her what was wrong with the cute easter dress I bought for Kate at the Carter outlet several weeks ago. All she said was I needed to find a "classy" dress that wasn't "loud" or "tacky." She even said she would contribute $50 to the event to help me do it right.

So, I set up an appointment for Kiddie Kandids and I went right out and bought Kate the prettiest dress I could find. I even asked the lady if my selection was "classy" and not "tacky" or "loud." The dress is a robin's egg blue with a sheerish brown overlay. I hope Mom likes it. After picking it out, I knew it was the right thing to do--now if I can only rationalize the money spent on the dress to Scott...


7 comments:

Jen said...

Julie, I love the dress! It is sooooo cute. Where did you get it. My co-workers want to know!

heidi said...

Oh girl, cant wait to see her picture now! You did a good job!

Kristi said...

Beautiful! I love brown and blue. Hope the photo shoot goes well. I think it's funny your mom didn't want a "loud" or "tacky" dress. (never seen Kate that way before!)

Cherish said...

Kate will look so cute in that dress. Can't wait to see the pictures. It definatly is a Classy dress in my eyes.

Tawny said...

that dress is adorable! she is such a pretty girl its perfect!

birdie said...

I love the dress - it is not only classy but hip and fashionable. What a sweet mom you are!

Maybe you could buy me a dress so I don't look so loud or tacky at church every Sunday :)

birdie said...

btw... I like your Easter dress selection. I think it's darling, fresh, and very springy. And that's my two cents about your fashion choice!