Sunday, June 1, 2008

Memorial Day

Scott and I finally got up the nerve to take Kate to spend the night at Scott's family cabin. Kate is a good sleeper but this was a whole new situation and I was worried that Scott's family wouldn't appreciate how chipper she is at 6:00 am. But, at least she's happy. No one likes a grumpy-gills that early in the morning.

Kate was asleep before we even pulled out of our driveway and she didn't wake up until we took our exit--the second her eyes opened, she said, "Going to the cabin!" I still remember the days when 4-hour drives felt like 10 minutes and 10-minute drives felt like 4 hours.

Along with enjoying a weekend in the woods, we celebrated Scott's mom's birthday. She keeps my brain from falling out. She is such a wonderful mother-in-law. While we stayed at the cabin she played with Kate so Scott and I could watch a movie. That was peaceful. I only felt guilty for a few minutes, after that I was just grateful for the break.


Here's Nana adorned with the most beautiful jewelry ever. Who needs diamonds when you have Whitney, Ashlee, Hailey, Jessica, Zac, and Kate?

Kate's uncle Jason learned that the way to get Kate to come within a foot of him was to read her a story. She's apprehensive with all men--but when it comes to young boys, she loves them all, even her first cousins.
Zac is Kate's current love affair. Here they are playing 'ring-around-the-rosie' with the look on her face you'd think he just asked her to marry him.

I fear the day when I have to explain to Kate about first cousins and how she can't marry any of them.

Papa took the little girls for rides in the Ranger. They had so much fun. Kate still talks about going for rides in the Ranger to look for moose, elk, and deer.
So, at what point do I need to worry about Kate's love affair with her first cousin?

5 comments:

Kristi said...

Great post! I love the pics of Kate and Zac-so cute!! Oh and Whitney needs to return some money to you-I didn't know you had given it to her--too much!!

Cherish said...

It is so darn cute to see Kate love Zac so much. As they get older, I'm sure that Kate can meet lots of cute/good guys through Zac. Lucky for her!

Jen said...

Looks like so much fun. Kate is way too cute!

Tawny said...

so cute. you should also take up writing or do you already? hey on my blog her maiden name is Becky Ball her Mom is Lily Ball. She was in our Stake in Santa Maria I believe. Anyways Kate is such a cutie!

melissa said...

Hey Julie, Michelle told me she found your blog from Todd's and Cherish's. Kate is so cute. It is good to see you guys are doing well. We ought to do something this summer. Look me up and give me a call.
Melissa Orris