Friday, January 16, 2009

I Moonlight as an Ogre

Kate deliberately poured water on my bedside table today. When I saw her holding the cup upside-down and the splash of water on my bedside table I shrieked. I said, "Katie, that was NOT nice." In my serious voice-the voice that has been coming out much more frequently lately. I grabbed a towel and mopped it up while I held her back with my leg to keep her right there so it would seem like we were cleaning up together. She quickly wiggled away and established some distance.

Then I asked her, "Katie, what are we supposed to do with water?"
K: "We drink it."
M: "What happens when we dump it out?"
K: "It spills all over the place."
M: "What do mommy and daddy do when you spill things on purpose like that?"
K: "They turn into Ogres!" (while jumping on the bed and smiling playfully)

I didn't know where I was going with those questions. I'm not sure why I was even asking. She sure made me crack up and forget how stupid it was to flip out over a water spill. I'm really questioning my parenting techniques these days--or lack thereof. It amazes me how different I am as a mother compared to the one I planned to be before I became a mom. Oh, the joy! :)

7 comments:

Michelle Mayfield said...

You're doing a great job! Children help you to lighten up! Funny!

Amy said...

Nice! I think that is great. I wonder what my kids would call me...I am sure something much worse than an ogre! So cute!

melissa said...

That is so funny. I'm with Amy I think I would be called much worse than an ogre, so at least you are doing better and the two of us.

Anonymous said...

I love that! Where do they get these great answers??? I always wonder why I can't just do what I know I want to do as a parent? Why do these little people have to be so individualistic instead of just letting me puppeteer them???? Awww...

Andrea McEntire said...

That is too funny!

Jen said...

Its like Jennifer Sanchez said "Children ruin your motherhood experience". I love that Kate calls you and ogre when you are being "firm".

Kristi said...

Hilarious! Shrek and Fiona as parents-what fun.