Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Spontaneous Drive to Provo at 3:45 PM

 
Out of the blue, I decided to take Kate and Sam to Provo to get some pictures of the fall colors on 'Y' Mountain for a future collage. Kate, of course, fell asleep on the way there.
 Sam was never too far from her favorite companion, her cell phone. She was a trouper to come in her dress and not complain when I told her we didn't have time to run to her house so she could change her clothes. She had a morningside with Sister Ann Dibb earlier and was all dressed up from that.  I offered her some lounge clothes of mine (they were even size small-the ones I only wear exercising because they are too tight to wear out of the house) but after trying them on she said they were still too big - skinny brat! -just kidding Sam, I love you!

 I took loads of pictures of the mountain with different angles and foregrounds. For my purposes, the pictures don't even have to be spectacular because I'm just using the pictures for form so I can sketch the mountain on a canvas and then add collage or paint.
 Kate threw me a bunch of cute poses on the Waterfall by the clock tower. I don't know where she dug up these sultry poses of hers. She said she was being a mermaid.
 Sam borrowed my camera and took a dozen pictures of ducks.
 
Before long, Kate was in the water up to her waist and splashing. That was my cue to leave. 

We had a wonderful time in Provo. That place is definitely beautiful, especially the BYU campus. As we walked around the campus and saw all the college co-eds parading around, I felt a tinge of regret that my time of being a single, un-mother, college student was so far over. I would love to be that young again and go to college all over again. Even though my undergraduate degree is already behind me-I miss the energy of the university life. I miss classes and homework and textbooks. 

We stopped in at the Creamery and had some delicious ice cream cones and then stopped at In N Out for a burger. 

We danced to the radio in the car on the ride home and at one point, Sam and I were doing what would appear to be a replay of some Tae Bo workout. {This is what happens to us when it gets dark} As we were being silly, a cop passed me on the freeway. I told Sam in shock, "I can't believe that cop didn't pull me over, I was going 5 over the speed limit and flexing!" We were in such a goofy mood that Sam and I laughed hysterically for 10 miles or more. 

I had about 20 miles left in my tank so I stopped in Draper for gas. I never fill up the car, Scott always does that for me and this was evident when I made it to Sam's house to drop her off and my gas cap was hanging out with the little door wide open. {Thanks goodness for that clever chap who invented the connecting wire for the gas cap}I'm sure I made a number of people chuckle on the drive home from Draper-what with my gas cap flailing and Sam and I in the car dancing to the music.

4 comments:

Kristi said...

You are so spontaneous! And to think you get to spend more time in Happy Valley with us this weekend. You are awesome!!

Beth Monson said...

Great pictures! I love spontaneous adventures like that. Your hair is so long. I've never seen it that long before. It's really cute.

Amy said...

Love Kates first pose. Awesome. And your hair is so long. It is so pretty!

Andrea McEntire said...

Cool pics, I love the picture of you and Kate. :)