Monday, April 25, 2011

God Principle: Trials

Sometimes, while minding my own business, raising my five-year-old girl, I have opportunities to see things through God's eyes to some degree and I call these God Principles.

A couple years ago, Kate chipped her two front teeth at the school playground and her teeth were pushed up into her gums. I took her to the dentist a day or so later and she recommended we wait for the teeth to grow back in and watch to see if the teeth die. Over the past year, I've noticed the color in those two front teeth change from normal white, to a light brown and I could tell that the teeth were becoming increasingly sensitive. In all Kate's innocence, she called them her tickly teeth. She didn't complain about it but I knew that she was young enough that she didn't really know any difference. 

About three weeks ago, I took her to the dentist who recommended two root canals. I worried that two root canals would be a lot for young Kate to bare. I also knew the cost of the procedure would be high (The dentist quoted $600 she must have discounted it considerably because the bill came out to $462  in the end). I was willing to pay for it, even though these teeth were temporary and would only last another two years at the most. I was willing to pay because I wanted her to experience brushing her teeth and eating with comfort. I also knew this would help her have a more sparkly smile. Her teeth would be that normal white color and they would be shaped correctly. I didn't want her to worry about kids teasing her in school when she starts kindergarten this fall.

I scheduled the procedure and prepared Kate with bribery. I told her that she would get a prize if she was cooperative and brave.

Kate was amazing. I was more nervous and uncomfortable watching the procedure than Kate was experiencing it. At times I wanted to reach out and grab her hand to comfort her but then I would stop because I didn't want her to think that she couldn't do it alone. Plus, I was struggling with it more than her. She wasn't cringing or anything. She was completely relaxed. And she didn't need any laughing gas or anything! I was so proud of her. I was chuckling inside with joy that she was so brave and so strong.

But while I sat next to her, watching her calmly allow the dentist to work on her, I imagined God looking at me going through the trials that He is allowing me to endure. I felt Him reminding me that He does it because He loves me. He wants me to be happy. He knows that the end result will be beautiful and that I will look back through the pain I endured and be grateful. He has bribed me with a prize... Eternal Life if I endure well. I felt how hard it is for Him to watch me struggle. And how proud He is of me when I take it well.

When the procedure was over, Kate was SO excited to see her pretty new teeth. I didn't realize it would mean that much to her. She even thanked me for her beautiful new teeth.

7 comments:

Robyn said...

Good job! I think I'd rather just sit in the waiting room :) lol!
But that really was a great principle! What a great reminder of a loving Father we have!

Beth Monson said...

Well stated! That is a lot for that poor little Kate to endure! She is so brave. What a wonderful mom she has:).

Bret Wheadon said...

Another great, inspiring post, Julie! Can't wait to see her pearly whites! :)

Jamie said...

Neat and inspirational story. Loved it. Thanks for sharing.

Mac and Dixie said...

What an amazing little gal you've got and what an inspirational view!

As a side note, the "pretty new teeth" thing...that's why I love my job. We give people "pretty new smiles" every day. Its fun to change lives!

Becky said...

I couldn't agree more with the God Principles thing. Why can't we see it so clearly when WE'RE in themiddle of a trial. I can't believe two root canals what a champ. My Alyssa had to have 4 teeth pulled and a cavity filled. It's so nerve racking to be the Mom. These kids handle things so well.

Doug and Amanda Bailey said...

Kids+dentists=stress! Great endurance! Beautiful principle.