Saturday, September 25, 2010

I Told Kate We Were Going on an Adventure!

So there I was... hungry, penniless, and hour away from home. Scott, Kate, and I were on a drive to see the fall colors up Alpine's Scenic Backway. We had made it to In N Out Burger for dinner and in the parking lot, with the smell of burgers and fries wafting in through the windows, when Scott realized he had forgotten his wallet. Kate was still asleep contorted like a pretzel in her booster on the back seat. I left my purse at home as well. I thought it through even. I reasoned that I didn't need it if Scott had his wallet and that bringing it would only put it at greater risk of being stolen or lost. Granted we weren't altogether penniless. We had a few pennies and even a couple quarters in the car but not enough for even one big, mouth-watering burger-let alone the signature fries.
 
I hadn't eaten since noon. Even after eating lunch I was still hungry. I hadn't met my protein quota with my slice of Dave's Killer Bread, parmesan cheese, my very own home-grown tomato, sliced on top, with a little sea salt and basil. I paired that with a little yogurt and a homemade, chocolate-chip cookie for dessert. And that was all yum but it was now creeping close to 6:30 pm.

After a little quarrel over who should manage the GPS--let's see, the driver while driving or the passenger, hmmmm, tough call. Scott pulled over so he could figure out where we were going-because clearly he wasn't going to let me play with his cool, relatively new toy (Scott bought a smart phone a few months ago-It's awesome and I'm always trying to get my hands on it).

Once on the right path, we enjoyed all that we could of the trip. We stopped first at Bridal Veil Falls.

 {It's crazy hard to do a self-portrait of the three of us because of the height differences. We'll have to work on that. I still think it's better than having one picture with Scott and Kate and another with me and Kate. And Kate's pose makes up for any problems with my photography.}
I Love this girl! Squeeze! Mmmmuah!

Then we continued up the narrow Byway with God's exquisite decorating skills at their best! The beauty was unexplainable. I usually drive through the loop going south so it was a treat to see everything from the other direction. Gorgeousness! 

After the lovely drive and good conversation, we made it home, hungrier than ever. Scott ran in the house to grab his wallet and we ate our dinner around 8:30 pm at Tony Burgers and finished the night off watching the end of the new Tinkerbell movie with Kate and then we put our little fairy to bed. We had a wonderful Friday night! Other than the GPS showdown, the evening was even conflict-free which was surprising considering the circumstances. But whining about it wouldn't have done any good.


Lesson learned: stash some cash in the car!

2 comments:

Beth Monson said...

Well I'm glad to hear it turned out ok. I've learned to stash some SNACKS in the car! Forget the money... go straight to the source... FOOD! Keep a box of granola bars and some fruit snacks tucked away for just such a food emergency. (I tell myself they are for the children... but who am I kidding:)

Amy said...

I would be devastated myself if I was expecting In & Out and didn't get it! And I am a huge fan of self portraits, however, I don't have the problem with the height difference!