We had family night on Monday and we talked about Joseph Smith and how he prayed in the grove of trees and Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ appeared to him. We talked about the Angel Moroni and the gold plates. We showed her pictures from the Gospel Art Kit and used a flannel board set we bought from Deseret Book. We sang the song about the first vision and Kate's favorite, Follow the Prophet. During the lesson, I remembered that the Museum of Church History has a replica of the gold plates and some other things that might be interesting for Kate to see. So, we planned an activity for Saturday. We had a spectacular time.

The replica of the gold plates that you can look at mock engravings, flip the pages, and even try to heft.
Kate enjoyed trying to "abridge" the plates. They had sample writing that the kids could try to copy.
We had fun. We even saw the children's art in the basement - bright, beautiful stuff!
Scott loved seeing an original page written in Oliver Cowdery's hand from the translation of the Book of Mormon. We were all fascinated with the replica of the emigration ship made in exquisite detail and an actual handcart from 1847. I loved the hall of the prophets with interesting memorabilia from each prophet of the last dispensation. The Museum had a lot to offer! We bought Kate a little Pioneer figurine set of four at the gift shop before we left. Very cool.
After our fun time we made our way to Kodiak Bakery for a cookie.




1 comment:
Look at how good you are. I need to get better at FHE!
And I want a peanut butter cookie and hot chocolate now. And i am with you. I put a ton of scoops in when I make my own!
Post a Comment