Friday, January 28, 2011

Some about Sam

Most people who know me well know that my 17-year-old niece, Samantha (Sami), comes to my house most days after school (M, T, TH, F). She rides the school bus that drops her off near my house. Her mom, my eldest sister, picks her up before dinner.

Lately, I've been "tutoring" Sam in Geometry. Yes, I know, I'm not known for my superior math abilities. Yes, Math is not my strongest or second strongest subject. Math doesn't even make the long list of my skills and strengths. But tutor, I do. I look forward to it, in fact. Helping her with her math is like completing a challenging crossword puzzle, you feel smart afterward. You feel accomplished and have fun in the process.

Unfortunately, Sam gets sick of doing math and retreats into her natural creative self to do artsy things. But this isn't all bad. Sam's most recent procrastination of math gave Kate a most unusual room decoration.
I like the above shot of Kate drawing because it shows her bruised up thumb nail, remnants of the fracture she received a couple weeks ago.
 Here is Sam and Kate crafting and preparing lanterns for Kate's room just like on the Disney movie, Tangled.
 
And the finished product. They made about 8 in all. Hanging together, Kate's room looks like it's ready for a party.

I love having Sam over. She is good to me. She is never painfully rude - only playfully. And I love that I can tease her back and she takes it. She laughs even. I love that she lets me boss her around with her math and she doesn't get all ornery with me like she does with her mother. I love that I can ask her for advice about things and she helps me make difficult decisions. 

Really, I rely on her way too much. What will I do when I no longer have her to keep me on track everyday? Does this look good here, Sam? Can I wear this shirt with these jeans, Sam? Do you think I should color my hair more blond next time, Sam? Someday, when she no longer comes to my house on the buss and she's off at college somewhere, she'll receive a photo text of two dresses in the middle of her World Civ class with me asking which one I should buy for Kate's Christmas Dress or something. 

She is always right about Kate's medical needs like the time a couple years ago when Kate had a horrendous fever and Sam suggested we take her to InstaCare and it turned out to be a bladder infection. Or the time I showed her Kate's thumb after 3 medical professionals had already said it was fine and Sam said, "I don't know, Julie, I think it's broken, you might should take her in for an x-ray." And, looky there, she was right again. 

Sam doesn't make a habit of reading my blog, but I just wanted to put some thoughts down about a few of the wonderful things I enjoy about her coming to stay with me.

2 comments:

Jen said...

(This is SAM)
Holy Cow Julie, the one time I get on your blog to show Clark something the first thing he reads is about me. It was an out-of-body experience.
Also, to add to the medical, you forgot about the time I told you not to give PEANUTS to Kate when you thought she had "grown out of" her allergy :)
Thanks, I enjoy coming to your house too!

Jen said...

Julie, You are so good to us. Thanks for being Sam's second mother. It means a lot to her and me.

It was funny to watch her squirm when her name was mentioned, I think she was worried that you would mention her infatuation with...