Saturday, June 11, 2011

God Principle: Trust Me

Kate was giving me the third degree last Sunday. She started while I was doing her hair. She couldn't tell what style I was going to give her and she asked several questions and I wasn't in the mood to explain my every move to her so I said, "I'm not going to intentionally make you look ugly, okay. Just calm down." She still insisted on specifying exactly what she wanted. I felt frustrated. I had this vision in my mind of how I wanted to style her hair but her fears were getting in the way of me being able to style it. Every time I brushed up a section of hair she was frightened that I would put it in pig tails and she would jerk her hair out of my hands. I assured her that, No, I would not put her hair in pig tails. So she let me continue only to whip her head around again insisting that I don't pull half of it up either. I was so aggravated with having to stop and start again that I just said, "Trust me! I love you. I'm trying my best to help you."
 
We got over the hair dilemma and after church and dinner we wanted to go with my mom, dad, brother and his family on a walk or something. Initially I thought it would fun to walk to the Lagoon Trail and I remember lots of kids bringing their bikes and I offered to take her bike so she could ride it on the trail. We live in a very hilly neighborhood and Kate hasn't learned to master hills on her bike. She was afraid. I told her the trail had some slight ups and downs but that it would be a perfect place for her to get some riding practice. She wanted to know if the ups and downs were long or short. She berated me for a good ten minutes with her questions and fears. I could tell she was full of anxiety and uncertainty about this unknown trail and how it would impact her. I tried to ease her concerns. I said, "Kate you can do this trail on your bike. I wouldn't recommend it for you and take you there on your bike if I didn't think you could do it." More fears and worries. I felt like she didn't trust that I would do what was best for her. I reiterated, "Kate, please, you gotta just trust me. I love you. I want you to be happy. I know you'll enjoy it. The trail is perfect for you to practice riding on your bike. It will be great."

As I was in the middle of importuning her to trust me, I got it. I heard something familiar in my words. I imagined God saying the same things to me. He just wants me to trust Him. He wants me to be happy. The plan He has, though hard to do, is what I can handle and good practice for me to learn. I can do it. He loves me."

"[E]veryone has worth because we are all children of God. He knows us, loves us, and wants us to succeed and return to Him. We must learn to trust in His love and in His timing rather than our own sometimes impatient and imperfect desires." --Cecil O. Samuelson Jr.

3 comments:

Beth Monson said...

Great point!!!;)

Doug and Amanda Bailey said...

That was great insight.

Jamie said...

So true!!! I love that last quote--it's actually exactly what I am giving a talk on... I think I will steal it! :)